Scroll Down

Civil Ceremonies

At The Hotel Kilmore

Hotel Kilmore is an ideal location to hold a wedding ceremony for your special day.

At Hotel Kilmore we offer a selection of 5 locations for ceremonies, our Killygarry suite, Urney & Castletara Suites can hold up to 70 guests, our Sheelin Suite which can seat up to 200 guests and our Country Suite up to 400 guests. We cater for Ceremonies seven days a week.

Our experienced Wedding Team will assist you with the careful planning of all aspects of your wedding from the ceremony through to the celebrations afterwards.


We provide the following complimentary;

- Choice of room layout, Theatre or Semi-Circle Style

- Table at top for your celebrant (alter table)

- 2 Cherry Blossom Trees set either side of Registration Table & Two at the bottom of Aisle

- 6 Lanterns set along the Cream or Red Carpet

- Small Podium & Microphone

- A choice of 5 Suites for your ceremony

- Cream or Red-carpet welcome on arrival

- Elegant NEW ballroom chairs

- Consultancy & planning with our experienced wedding team

- PA System should you wish to supply your own background music

- Event co-ordination provided by our banqueting management team on the day


There are four different types of ceremonies you can choose from;

 Civil Registrar/Celebrant:

 Civil ceremony weddings are performed by a civil celebrant/registrar. There are some restrictions with this type of wedding. Civil ceremonies can only take place Mon-Fri (bank holidays and weekends are not allowed). Not every venue is suitable for a civil ceremony. Ceremonies are held in a registry office or a venue which must be inspected and approved before your wedding. Since 2014 this can now include outdoor venues. Although many independent celebrants call their ceremonies civil ceremonies most independent celebrants cannot carry out the legal elements of the wedding ceremony.

Independent, Ethical, Bespoke Celebrant: Independent wedding celebrants have received their qualification from the IIOC They carry out bespoke wedding ceremonies designed by the couple and the celebrant together. This is a celebration/ceremony but these celebrants cannot solemnise your marriage i.e. cannot perform the legally binding parts. To become legally married the couple need to contact the HSE and arrange the signing of their marriage certificate separately. Because this ceremony is not legally binding and is a symbolic ceremony there are no particular rules with regard to the ceremony itself or where it can be performed or on what day they perform it. You can include any type of music you would like, including hymns, however independent celebrants cannot include any sacraments or religious rituals in the ceremony.

 Humanist Celebrant: Humanist weddings are secular and non-religious occasions this should be considered when planning the ceremony including your music, if you believe in God or the supernatural then perhaps this isn’t the ceremony for you. Often humanist celebrants will require this to be reflected in all the music also, so a song with lyrics that includes angels for examples, would not be appropriate. Here is the link to the list of qualifies Humanist celebrants

 Spiritualist: Spiritual wedding ceremonies are non-denominational ceremonies and don’t conform to the religious aspects of the mainstream religious beliefs. Spiritualism is a religion in its own right, however it does not have any particular God, unlike other religions. states: “A Spiritual Ceremony solemniser can legally perform the legal part of the wedding ceremony within the ceremony content allowing the couple to have one official date for the wedding day, providing the couple have followed the guidelines set out by the civil registrations act. “They require the couple to include references to spiritualism within their ceremony.


The Marriage Notification Process:

You must attend, in person, at the office of the Registrar by prior appointment to give at least three months notification of your intention to marry. At this consultation you will be presented with a Marriage registration form. While only three months’ notice is required by law it is advisable to contact the Registrar well before the intended date of marriage to receive a timely appointment.At this meeting with the Registrar you will be asked for the following: Full evidence of name, address, age, marital status and nationality. In general you will be asked to produce passports as I.D., original final decrees in respect of previous divorce (if applicable), P.P.S. numbers of the couple. The Registrar will advise if any additional official documentation is required. You will also be asked for the details of the marriage, the intended date, the names and date of births of witnesses and details of the venue.The Marriage notification can be given to any Registrar, the HSE will advise you of the contact details that are closest to you.

You will then need to meet our Wedding Team who will complete the particulars on the documentation that apply to venue.


Civil Registration Office Cavan

 Gate Lodge, Lisdarn, Cavan

Contact: 049 437 1709 or 049 437 3272. Fax: 049 437 1709

Opening Hours: Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday

09.45 – 12.30; 14.00 – 16.15


For further information on Ceremonies at Hotel Kilmore please do not hesitate to contact us on 049 4332288 or email